Today, we will compare two countries Brazil and Mexico. Brazil is located in the continent of South America, while Mexico is in the North American continent.
Brazil is the largest country in the South American continent and holds an important geopolitical position in the region. At one point in its history the Portuguese colonized Brazil and ruled for more than 300 years. Brazil finally claimed its independence from Portugal on September 7th 1822 and it adopted its first Constitution in 1825.
Football can easily be labelled as the national passion of Brazil! All Brazilians are crazy about football!! And it is this very commitment that has led to Brazil winning 5 FIFA World Cups till date. The official name of Brazil is Federative Republic of Brazil.
In comparison, Mexico was ruled by Spain for 300 years, after which they gained independence. Mexico falls geographically within the ‘Ring of Fire” which designates the region that is home to the most active and dangerous volcanoes of the world. The official name of Mexico is United Mexican States.
In today’s video, we would like to walk you through a comparison of these two countries based on several interesting factors including GDP, area, Military power, Poverty rate, internet speed and many many more!
1. Let us begin by talking about the Gross Domestic Product or GDP of these two countries . The nominal GDP of Brazil is $1.893 trillion which makes it the 9th largest economy in the world. Mexico on the other hand ranks globally as the 15th largest, with a nominal GDP of $1.274 trillion. Comparing the countries by GDP per capita, Brazil is at $8,955 whereas Mexico comes in higher at $10,118. Brazil’s GDP growth rate is 2% while Mexico’s growth rate is 1.2%.
2. The currency used in Brazil is the Real while the currency of Mexico is the Peso. The Real is stronger than the Peso with 1 Brazilian Real valued at 4.59 Mexican Pesos. Let’s check the exchange rate of each with the US Dollar. While $1 USD is worth 4.63 Brazilian Reals, it is worth 21.23 Mexican Pesos.
Let us now compare Brazil and Mexico by their population. Brazil has a population of 212 million making it the 6th largest country in the world by population.
In comparison, Mexico has a population of 128 million people, which earns it the rank of the 10th largest country in the world by population. An accurate way of considering this comparison is population density. Brazil has 25 people /km² while Mexico has 61 people /km².
3. A good way to comparatively visualise these countries is to analyse their total area. With total area of 8,515,762 km², Brazil ranks as the largest country in South America and the 5th largest in the world. In fact, Brazil accounts for 40% land mass and 50% population of the South American continent!! A point of interest is that the Brazilian coastline stretches for 7491 km in total.
On the other hand, Mexico has a total area of 1,964,375 km², making it the 13th largest country in the world and the 4th largest in North America. Mexico’s coastline undulates for a total of 9330 km!
The capital of Brazil is Brasilia, while Sao Paulo is its largest city.
Mexico City is the largest city in Mexico and is also its capital.
4. Now let us compare the religions practised in each of these countries. In Brazil, 64.6% of Brazilians are Roman Catholic, 22% Protestant, 2.2% Spiritualist and 11% follow other religions. In comparison, in Mexico, 83% are Catholic, 7% Protestant, 2% are non-Catholic, non-Protestant Christians while 5% are atheists and 3.2% follow other religions.
5. Let us now peek at these two countries’ overall military power. Brazil’s military power index score is 0.1988, ranking 10th; while Mexico’s military power index score is 0.6065 and it ranks 38th.
At the military budget of these two countries. Brazil has a military budget of $27.5 billion, while Mexico has a military budget of $7 billion. If we compare military personnel of both countries, Brazil has 334,000 active duty personnel and 1,340,000 reserve forces; whereas Mexico has 277,000 active duty personnel and 81,000 reserve duty forces.
6. Moving on, let’s compare the number of airports in each of these countries! Brazil boasts a total of 4093 airports and ranks second in the world after the United States, for the highest number of airports in the world!! Sao Paulo’s Guarulhos International Airport is the busiest airport in Brazil. On the other hand Mexico has 1,714 airports and ranks 3rd in the world with respect to number of airports. Mexico’s busiest airport is Mexico City International Airport.
7. Now, let’s talk about language of communication. Portuguese is not only the official language of Brazil, it is the most-used, with 97.9% of Brazilians using it and the remaining 2.1% relying on Spanish, English, German, Italian and other languages.
In comparison, can you believe that there about 68 languages spoken in Mexico?!!Spanish is the most-used language, with more Spanish speaking people residing in Mexico than in Spain!! Other foreign languages used in Mexico include English, German, Greek, Italian, Arabic, French, Chinese and Japanese languages.
8. Another parameter of comparison is fertility rates, that is how many children are delivered per woman in each of these countries? Brazil has a fertility rate of 1.72 births per woman; while Mexico has a fertility rate of 2.11 births per woman.
9. If we examine the literacy rates of these two countries, both have a high literacy rate, with Brazil at 93% and Mexico at 95.38%.
10. When we compare the life expectancy, we find Brazil and Mexico neck-to-neck with life expectancy being 75 years of age in both, in the year 2020.
11. Are you curious to know how many billionaires live in these countries? Well, 43 billionaires call Brazil their home with the richest person being Joseph Safra who is worth $23.8 billion. Mexico hosts 15 billionaires with Carlos Slim being the richest at a total personal worth of $63.4 billion.
12. After comparing the highs, let’s compare the lows. The poverty rate, that is percentage of people that are below the poverty line, of Brazil is 4.2% while that of Mexico is higher at 10.5%.
13. Despite this, the HDI or human development index is quite high for both these countries. Brazil ranks 79thth in the world with an HDI of 0.761; whereas Mexico ranks 26th in the world with an HDI of 0.767.
14. Let us now talk a bit about the Space Agencies of each of these countries. Brazil’s space agency, called the Brazilian Space Agency was founded in 1994 and has a working budget of $46.702 million. The Mexican Space Agency called the Agencia Espacial Mexcianae was founded 10 years ago in 2010 and has a budget of $93 million.
15. Let us now take you through some popular tourist spots in each country. Brazil is famous for Christ the Redeemer, Iguazu Falls, the Amazon River, Cathedral of Brasilia, the Rio Carnival, the Pantanal, Salvador beaches, historic center of Olinda, Bonito, Fernando de Noronha, Copacabana and Ouropreto.
Mexico on the other hand has tourist spots and sights such as Cozumel, the ancient fortress of Tulum, Puerto Vallarta, Copper canyon, Mexico City’s historic center, ChichenItza, Guanajuato, Historic Morelia, El Arco, Cathedral Metropolitana and Acapulco cliff divers.
And that is our comparison for today!! So, PlacifyWorld Readers, which country did you like the most? Brazil or Mexico? Leave us a comment and let us know!
Today’s question of the article is: “Which currency is used in Brazil?” Leave us your answer in the comment box.